These mixed berry scones actually came out prettier than they look in these photos. I had some berries left over: blueberries, blackberries and strawberries, and decided to throw them into scones, one of my favorite morning or afternoon treats.
This cream scone is easy to whip up and I almost always have some heavy cream in the house so I can make these whenever I’m in the mood. You can easily play around with the recipe and change the filling ingredients.
Mixed berry Cream Scones (adapted from Mirch Masala)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup mixed berries
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp raw sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the cubes of butter and using a food processor, blend ingredients.
2. Add the cream and strawberries and stir to combine. Do not over stir! Dump the mixture out on the counter. Knead the dough slightly so that it holds together, but is still crumbly.
3. Form dough into square, using rolling pin if necessary, about one to two inches thick. Cut triangles and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. On the tops of the scones, brush with heavy cream and then sprinkle raw sugar.
5. Place the scones in the oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until it is golden brown on the edges and the top.