Sugar donut muffins has been one of my favorite recipes I’ve tried. The muffins taste like the sugar/cinnamon cake donuts, but a healthier baked version. Normally, these are rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture after baking or drizzled with chocolate, but I have to confess, I like them best just plain.
In the past when I made them, I would eat the ungarnished ones only. I would only roll about half of them in the cinnamon sugar mixture so that I could have a lot of plain ones to eat. This time around I decided to just leave them all plain.
Actually I did try to experiment which is why they look a little funny instead of having perfectly round tops. I put a drop of nutella in each one. The nutella sank to the bottom and created funny little tops for these muffins. They don’t look so great, but they taste delicious. A yummy little donut muffin with a drop of pour nutella. A perfect breakfast treat.
These muffins are sooo easy to whip up. You don’t even need a mixer. Just a bowl and a whisk.
Donut Muffins with nutella filling (adapted from recipe found on Stylish Cuisine)
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup fat free milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Nutella for filling
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
3. Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Fill each mini muffin cup about half full with batter. Add a drop of nutella to each. Then add some more batter to cover the nutella, until each muffin cup is about 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Once muffins have cooled you can roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture as an option.