I love the sugar donut muffins that I previously made here. I’ve been thinking about trying a chocolate version for a while, so I finally got around to doing it.
I think the chocolate version tastes as good as the original version. I didn’t have to do much to change the recipe. I added cocoa powder and I thought I’d have to add some more milk so the batter wouldn’t be too dry, but the cocoa powder did not seem to make the batter more dry so I ended up not adding more liquid.
Recipe: Chocolate Donut Muffins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
- Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Fill each mini muffin cup about 3/4 full
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Once muffins have cooled you can roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture as an option.