I recently saw a recipe for homemade pop tarts using premade pie crust dough. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a pop tart, and an easy homemade one sounded delicious, especially filled with nutella.
All you need to do is cut up the pie crust into rectangles, slather them with nutella, and use a fork to close up the sides. Then you bake for a few minutes, and you end up with some piping hot pop tarts.
Homemade nutella pop tarts
(recipe source: The Family Kitchen)
1 package of refrigerated pie crust
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Cut the pie crust into 2×3 rectangles or 3 x5 depending on how large you want your pop tarts. I made some small and some big.
3. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of nutella onto one of the rectangles, leaving about 1/2 inch of space around the edges. Place another rectangle on top.
4. Seal the edges together with the tines of a fork. Repeat until dough is used up. Place pop tarts on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, then allow to cool.
5. For decoration, you can use a glaze, spinkles, etc. I ended up just using melted nutella, drizzled on top. Next time I’ll probably do sprinkles and a chocolate glaze.